How to explain a pitch adjustment

Cy Shuster 741662027@theshusters.org
Fri, 30 Dec 2005 09:27:08 -0700

Julie,

I just let the piano guide me.  If a unison is really wild because one =
string is way off, I measure one of the two that are closer together.  =
If A0 is way off, I measure a few other notes in the bottom octave, =
because A0 may not be representative.  And if I get a big difference in =
an octave, I'll sometimes measure D# in between, just to get a little =
closer picture.

I picked 8 cents as a pitch raise guide because that's what the PTG =
website (and bulletin) used to say.  Dean Reyburn told us recently that =
he's down to two cents.  Time to update my graph!

--Cy--
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: KeyKat88@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2005 9:32 AM
  Subject: Re: How to explain a pitch adjustment

  In a message dated 12/21/2005 9:13:15 AM Eastern Standard Time, =
jodel@kairos.net writes:
    I measure pitch on all the A's before I start, and record this for =
the customer on a graph on the invoice.  This gives them a great visual =
about what work is needed.  The graph indicates "fine tuning" range (+/1 =
eight cents for me).

  Greetings,

          I like your idea of giving the customer a graph. I too, =
measure all the A's before I begin any tuning to see where it sets. I =
ususaly pick the center string. Which of the three strings (in treble =
notes) do you use to measure the A's? Which would be the most reliable =
"tell" out of the three?

  Julie Gottshall,
  Reading, PA