Twisted Keys

firman1 firman1@prodigy.net
Fri, 30 Dec 2005 10:07:19 -0600

I clamp the key to a table with one end sticking out over the edge. I =
then tighten a "crescent" wrench on that end and hang a weight through =
its handle hole. Using a heat gun on the middle area of the twist will =
soften the wood fibers, usually. A little steam from an old iron might =
be required in stubborn cases. Stop when the key is straight and let it =
dry with the weight on it. Make sure you don't go too far! I usually let =
it go slightly too much, because of spring-back.
At least this is how I have done it for 30 years.
Berley A. Firmin II
Bayou La Combe, Louisiana