Converting a Brass Rail Piano

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 28 Dec 2005 08:06:01 -0800

Tom Cole responded to Barbara: "
> Hi all,
>
> I have a customer with a Straube upright piano that has a truly
> wonderful sound. I was so surprised the first time I heard it,
> because there aren't many uprights that have survived a lifetime in
> the Midwest and still have any life in them. Here's the exception.
> The only problem is it has a brass rail. Is it possible to convert
> one of these to a wooden flange system?

Yes, it's possible with a table saw to re-machine the hammer rail to
accept standard wooden flanges. You would need to replace all the hammer
butts (and shanks and heads while you're at it). Also your work would
need to be very accurate not to introduce some regulation headaches.

> Oops, I forgot to look at how the dampers are held in place. :-l

It would be good to know if it's a horizontal brass rail with fingers
for dampers as well.

> Experiences, comments?

If all the brass rail fingers are in good shape, I would stay with that
and replace all the butt plates. There's a writeup in the archives about
that (Sun, 21 Mar 1999 23:07:05 -0700, "Brass Rail Repairs").

> Thanks,
>
> Barbara Richmond, RPT

You're welcome

A Table Saw!!!!!????? YIKES! Not necessary, at all, IMO! Most conversions are done, using Euro/Asian style Butts & Flanges, where a piece of wire holds them in place. As for the dampers?.....It don't matter how they are held or by what. The European Damper Flanges are smaller than the U.S. type and can be adapted quite easily to the rail. HOWEVER....if all the tabs on the rail are intact, why go to all of that fuss? Simply Anneal the original rails and install new brass plates and be done with it! Sheesh! (I've done it many ways, so don't tell me I know not of what I speak, as each way has it's foibles. <G>)

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I