false beats from ?? -...

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Tue, 27 Dec 2005 13:41:12 -0600

> Not much has been written lately, re. the fact that more times than not,
> false beats have been evident when the wire seems
> to be "not" in contact with the bridge. That is why I will tap the wire
> to have it make conract.

It's been written about and explained in detail so many times
already, the fact that it hasn't been explained yet again recently
doesn't change all the other times it was. There are weeks worth of
it in the archives. Last I heard, there were a number of people who
were going out in the world with feeler gages to prove me wrong, and
show us that strings really do climb bridge pins, but we haven't
heard back from any of them with their flood of corroborating
evidence. Perhaps it's because they haven't found that evidence
because pins really don't climb bridge pins, and the string is
always in contact with the bridge cap, though often not at the very
edge of the notch where cyclic humidity swings have crushed the cap.

>It's always in contact with
> the pin, even when in an elvated position..  I have seated the string,
> tapped the pin, and still had a false beat.

So have I, which is why I started looking into the primary mechanism
causing the beats. Did you try the screwdriver on the pin test at
any time in the process to try to isolate the source of the beat?

>Tightened the
> coils sometimes, to get a different result. None of these things seemed
> conclusive.

Tightened the coil to fix false beats? I'm not surprised it was
inconclusive. Maybe if you'd oiled the casters too... The point
being that a false beat (whichever flavor of noise is described as
such) is most likely coming from the speaking parts of the system.

>Changing wire was one of the best ways
> to improve the problem,  . . not always.   Whose nose .
>
> Carl / Winnipeg

Not in my experience. Making the bridge pin solid in the surface of
the cap has by far the best track record for me.
Ron N