How to sell a broken string

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Tue, 27 Dec 2005 10:41:11 -0500

As David and others have said it is primarily a matter of confidence. I
remember in the early days sweating how to explain to the customer that
they were going to have to pay extra for a new string. Now I charge
three times as much for a string as I did then and it is never a
problem. Of course I break fewer strings now as well.

I tell them that if a string is going to break it is most likely to
break during tuning since that is when it is bound to see its greatest
stress load. It could have been any one of the faults David listed, but
it will happen when the string gets the extra stress load of tuning.

Another factor is when I first started tuning my customer's tended to be
lower on the food chain than the customers I have now. I was underpriced
and I attracted customers who were very price conscious and who thought
tuning once every 20 years was adequate. That kind of clientele is going
to be more suspicious of upsells.

Bottom line: be confident of your skills, develop a smooth pitch on the
reasons for string breakage, don't undercharge.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802