How to sell a broken string

Thomas Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Tue, 27 Dec 2005 01:08:33 -0800

Geoff,

The way my ears get dialed to 10 when I'm tuning, my ears just about
blow their voice coils when a string pops.  So I try to avoid it
happening in the first place. You're right, of course, that there's no
way to know for sure - just some things you can do to improve on the odds.

When a string does break, it helps to have the attitude and total belief
that it was its time to break. It goes without saying that if you were
listening to one string while pulling on another, then you would replace
it at your own expense. But the other times when you were taking normal
precautions, string breakage happens to us all and if you explain to the
customer the facts of life, they will most likely take your word for it.
It helps that you used to tune for Cristofori or equivalent and the
broken string spiel rolls off your tongue without a hint of stutter.

One thing I do, especially on a first-time tuning, is to inspect the
piano while the customer is standing there and if it's an oldie, hasn't
been tuned in many years, and/or already has broken strings, this is a
good time to talk about the probability of string breakage, what causes
them to break, and what you charge for replacements. If the owner leaves
the house and you haven't advised them of the possibility of string
breakage, then it would be harder to sell, to some people, anyway.

As to prevention, I think it's critical to pay attention to how well
pitch follows tuning pin movement. If I notice that the pin has moved
but the pitch stayed the same, then I immediately drop the pitch to
break the rust bond or whatever is resisting the pull up. Slacking the
string a little and bringing it back up tends to "lubricate" the bearing
points.

I was taught to paint a little Liquid Wrench onto the pressure bar and
"V" bar points before attempting a pitch raise but have long since
abandoned the practice. There are times when lubrication might help, I
suppose, but the only times I've used it in recent memory was to improve
the tunability of a string which was rusty and dragging on the
understring cloth.

HTH
Tom Cole