health insurance

Bruce D. Rempe bruce@rempefamily.net
Mon, 26 Dec 2005 12:29:26 -0600

I completely agree that "we guys" are beyond belief.  And, CERTAINLY, if
you're bleeding to death -- take care of it!!

But, the story that Dean provides (which is similar to some of my
experiences) illustrates just a small part of all that is wrong with our
health-care system.  I know this is intended as a discussion on
self-employment health-insurance options.  But, if you're considering an MSA
(which I think everyone should), are self-pay/insured, or have any
pre-existing conditions (those who have them know what I’m talking about),
then this type of knowledge is valuable.

Indeed, the amount "charged" by the medical facility is also the amount
least-often paid.  The facility will tell you - truthfully - that they
charge everyone the same.  However, what they except as full-payment is
quite another thing.

An insurance company will send the "charge" back to the facility with a
significant amount of it (usually 30-60%) marked as "disallowed."  The
insurance company will then pay the remaining 40-70% (or defer it to the
customer's deductable), and the medical facility will accept this as full
payment.  Any of you with insurance will see this detailed on your EOB
(explanation of benefits) which you will receive from your insurance company
for each visit.

If you want to negotiate a similar discount for yourself, then you need to
do that "IN ADVANCE!"  Once you've received services, then you're already
liable (and you've probably already signed a form saying so) for the full
charge.  And, they will pursue payment with a vengeance!  You may have very
nice doctors and nurses, but the receivables department personnel are not
drawn from the same employment pool.

 I have successfully negotiated a 10% discount after-the-fact, but only with
immediate cash payment (thousands in my case).  I have never been successful
in negotiating anything greater than that.

As you can probably tell, I've had a few "ins and outs" with the healthcare
establishment.  I'm happy to share what I know if it is at all helpful.

Happy new year!!

-bruce