health insurance

Bruce D. Rempe bruce@rempefamily.net
Fri, 23 Dec 2005 13:51:16 -0600

John,

My family has been with Assurant health for about 10 years.  You are
correct, it used to  be fortis.  In fact, it was something else even when we
joined it -- but, I've forgotten that name.

We have had very good experience with them.  However, thru a fluke of some
sort (the details of which I don't fully recall), my wife and I ended-up on
two separate policies.  This represented a major cost, and we just recently
moved to golden rule in order to consolidate the entire family onto a single
plan.  Fortis wouldn't let us do that because of a recent major expense of
my wife's.

But, in general we were pleased with the services of fortis/Assurant.

Good luck!!

-bruce

-----Original Message-----
From: John Formsma [mailto:john@formsmapiano.com]
Sent: Friday, December 23, 2005 7:47 AM
To: 'Pianotech'
Subject: RE: health insurance

Greg,

Having to submit your own bills is certainly something to consider - hadn't
thought about that. Thanks, I'll ask about that.

We currently have Golden Rule HSA and have been satisfied with their
services. This other company (Assurant) is nearly half the cost ($120/mo.
for me and two kids), but I'm naturally wary because I don't know anything
about this company.

David, The HSA is the way to go if there aren't many hospitalization needs.
You get to save money in your own account that builds tax-free for medical
uses. The idea is to use that money to pay for minor things like office
visits and smaller procedures. For instance, the plan I'm looking at has a
$5,100 annual deductible with 100% coverage after that. Rather than pay
$300+ every month with a traditional plan, you save the difference in the
savings account (like a medical checking account). Then you pay for small
things from that account. (Ideally, you want to build up the account to at
least the annual deductible amount so you have that readily available.) Our
normal medical needs are less than $500 every year, so this plan is great
since it offers catastrophic coverage at a cheap rate.

Susan, we're doing what you suggest. Eating around 90% organic/natural
foods, trying to get exercise, etc., saying "no" to prescription meds. It
makes some sense to me to try to cover major medical needs, especially since
I have two little ones for whom to provide. If it were just me, I probably
wouldn't have insurance and would be saving up money every month to be
self-insured (I'm 35 and in good health as far as I know).

Thanks, all, for the suggestions.

John Formsma