health insurance

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Fri, 23 Dec 2005 10:36:53 -0800

You have a bunch of excellent ideas there, Dean.

I have done one other thing in the past: if one wants health care "lite",
one can go to a naturopath. They cost a lot less, they can authorize
basic blood tests, etc. and they are less hurried and more willing to listen.

A guy just outside town sells raw milk "for animal use only" from
an outbuilding behind his house, along with eggs from non-concentration-camp
chickens. (They live nearby -- you can watch them scratch and cluck ...)
I don't drink milk much, but I thought of getting some
(he sells by the gallon), skimming some of the cream for butter,
and making yoghurt and/or cheese from the rest.

There are a few people in the country with hobby farms, who sell
grassfed beef by the quarter. I keep meaning to buy, but never
quite go ahead -- maybe next year. At that point, one is very
dependent on having the freezer not fail -- perhaps a small
backup generator might be a good idea.

I agree that factory farm meat has a lot of issues, especially
the pork.

Best,
Susan