false beats from ?? -...

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Tue, 20 Dec 2005 00:44:08 +1100

Hi all,

Terry Farrell wrote:

>IMHO, if the bridge pin is not being yanked, then CA is the way to
>go. But if the bridge pin comes out, then epoxy goes in.

I totally agree Terry - good call. Ron N wrote a good contribution
regarding board stiffness relative to a lower mass condition as a
possible pre-condition for falseness/nastiness to occur. Having
experienced this phenomenon during the development of our own pianos,
I totally agree with his observations.

A very stiff sound board with insufficient mass in the treble
produces a most unflattering tone which is shocky and intense with
short sustain. Furthermore, there is an increased propensity towards
falseness. When the mass of such a board is strategically increased,
the overall tonal improvement and reduction in falseness is most
remarkable.

Dale's post regarding the lay of wire when stringing struck a chord
of agreement with me also. I think the uniform orientation of the
wire and not over-pulling the tension during stringing is absolutely
critical for clean tone.

This is a very interesting area for honing tonal development.

Regards,
Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY