Yamaha action with Steinway/European hammers

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 18 Dec 2005 18:19:16 EST

I'll politely disagree. It's more than  semantics in reality. I have
experience with each of the stated hammers &  the Ronsen are not a low compression
Hammer in the truest sense of the word  & not all that close Imo to the Steinway
concept. I realize perhaps the  distinction is probably to lacquer or not to
lacquer & frankly I've often  used little or  almost zero lacquer in the Ronsen
Wurzens.
    I had dinner with Lloyd & Donna  Meyer 3 weeks ago & actually he helped
Jack Brand in some capacity re-open  the Wurzen plant in the early 1990s & has
always used their felt.  As  to wether  he's using the Double AA qualities ,
Ididn't think to ask.  Sorry
 I's my opinion that the Ronsen & Renner hammers have  been moving closer to
a more similar range of compression or stiffness. It  shouldn't take massive
amounts of needling or lacquer to get essentially to the  same place. Know what
I mean? I think the euro Wurzen are probably even closer  from what I Hear.
   I still really like the color range that comes  from a decent set of
Steinway hammers as well.  Treated correctly....  whatever that means to you'all
   As far a compression goes cut open a Ronsen &  Renner or whatever & tell
me which one blooms the most. The one  that blooms the most technically &
scientifically  has most  inherent compression & hence resilience. If a hammer
doesn't' bloom then the  resilience of the felt is being reduced by some mechanism
in pressing be it heat  or pressure or both.Wow I don't really want to get to
far into this again but  Jeannies last Statement is as true as they get
  Regards

Ronsons have always had a similar
approach to  hammer-making as Steinway:  Hammers very soft initially, with
the tone  built into the hammer.  Renners have always had the harder  hammers
from their pressing.  Bottom line....if they sound  good for a specific
application....use them.  Knowing which to use and  when comes with
experience and  listening.

Jeannie Grassi, RPT
Assistant Editor, Piano  Technicians Journal
mailto:jcgrassi@earthlink.net