false beats from??

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 18 Dec 2005 16:35:40 -0500

I have a question that I suspect maybe only Del or Ron N or Ron O might =
be able to answer.=20

In Del's class on small piano design, he has talked about =
characteristics of soundboard design that will greatly influence the =
tendency for a piano to exhibit false beats. I forget what that =
explanation was. It may be related to stiffness, maybe impedance - =
something like if the impedance of the board is greater/lesser than the =
note frequency in that area of the soundboard the piano will/won't be =
prone to false beats.=20

The bottom line was that if the soundboard is poorly designed in this =
respect, almost any defect in wire or terminations or whatever will =
cause false beats. However, if the soundboard is properly designed in =
this regard, even a loose bridge pin or a kink in the wire will likely =
not produce a false beat.

What is it about soundboard design that influences the tendency for the =
piano to develop false beats? Ron? Ron? Del? Anyone else?

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
     I have waited for this subject to come up again because I believe =
there is a cause that I've not seen addressed & fits into what your =
experience has born out.  While I believe a tight solid pin, proper down =
bearing & bridge angle are absolutely needed for good string mechanics =
there are conditions where all the right conditions for pure strings =
exists but the wires are as false as Dollie Partons ........wigs. Grin.=20
       I believe that a large part of string falseness is caused or =
created in the stringing process in 2 ways.=20
      1st, the string having a natural coil & memory should be installed =
by allowing it to freely wrap around the hitch pin in the natural bend =
or or coiled condition in which it takes as it comes off the coil. Or so =
as its' not bent back against itself. I believe this keeps the wire from =
excessive twisting as it is pulled to pitch.=20
      Now if your not buying that one then here is the no.2 reason is ,& =
I am absoultely convinced of this.=20
       I believe over pulling the string too far above pitch in the =
stringing process  deforms the string. Its' that simple.
    We once had a stringer who was very good but we had many false =
beats.  One day in conversation about this I  asked if there was =
anything she could be doing to create this & she said no.  She said I =
always pull the strings a half step sharp of there intended final pitch =
as a I string just like you told me.=20
      I said ^%$##!#$&*(*_) Slight communications flop. I had told her =
to pull the strings only up to pitch as she went.  SO after that the =
false beat issues were greatly reduced.  Also we swicthed to the Mapes =
Gold wire & I feel it produces even less falseness than the Roslau wire.
    My 2 cents worth for what its' worth
   Dale Erwin
    Because for an explanation or theory to have any meaning, it has to =
be=20
    consequent in dealing with the phenonema it attempts to explain. =
There=20
    are too many cases where this particular theory doesnt hold up.  You =
can=20
    tighten a loose pin without solving the problem, you can experience =
a=20
    clean string with absurdly loose pins.  The  <<sometimes>> effect of =

    tightening a loose pin or putting pressure on it points (at least =
me) in=20
    another direction.

    If the tight pin theory is really valid, then in nearly all cases... =
if=20
    not all...  a false beat will occur when a pin is loose and it will =
be=20
    eliminated upon tightening the pin. Since this is quite clearly, for =
not=20
    to say obviously not true... then the theory has a major problem.

    There is no doubt something that changes sometimes when manipulating =
the=20
    pin/pin hole relationship in various fashions.  But it I dont think =
its=20
    even close to been really shown that its simply a matter of the pin=20
    being loose. Not by a long shot.

    Cheers
    RicB