Tuning time -- String Seating

Cy Shuster 741662027@theshusters.org
Sun, 18 Dec 2005 05:51:20 -0500

I just learned that when you're tuning an octave above the last undamped
note, you can get some very strong sympathetic vibrations that sound a lot
like a false beat, from the undamped strings an octave below (and in fact,
we use that as a precise guide to pitch).  It follows that any rear or front
duplex could also cause the same effect.

I heard a loud, 7 bps oscillation recently (on a grand with rear duplex)
that wasn't affected in the least by pressure on the speaking bridge pin, or
sliding around to a different spot on the capo bar.  Time to try the sock
full of sand as a damper?

--Cy Shuster--
www.nbss.org
Class of '06