false beats from??

Mike McCoy mjmccoy@usa.com
Sat, 17 Dec 2005 12:59:29 -0500

Interesting. I had a similar "false beat day" yesterday. First was a old
Blasius upright that had apparently been restrung and pinned 2 years
ago, false beats like you wouldn't believe and the pins are tight as
hell, actually broke a tuning hammer tip last time I tuned it. Nothing
worked on the beats, bridge looked great,  seating, pressing on the
offending strings bridge pin with a screwdriver didn't show any
improvement, slid strings to the side a bit to try a different v-bar
termination, then finally rubbed the length of the strings with a brass
rod and that helped ever so slightly, finally had to give up for now as
appointments were backing up. Next was a 70's Yamaha console, I thought
"thank God, something I can tune and feel good about" as my shoulder was
getting sore, this was even worse, out with the action, same scenario,
walked away not feeling good again though it did sound decent.

Some days you wonder...

Mike

Mike McCoy
Langhorne, Pa.