Yamaha C6 key leading

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 23:11:31 +0100

Hi touchweight enthusiasts.

Finished a C6 a couple weeks back and I've been meaning to write about
it. During re weighting the keys I checked all the existing front
weights and found some fairly interesting numbers.  The factory job was
patterned and resulted in keys being devided up into several sections
all weighing very nearly identical.  I wrote the numbers down but I
havent got them handy so I'll just give you the general idea.  Keys 1-20
all had the same Front Weight... and they were heavy. 46-48 grams.  The
next 20 keys were about 4 grams lighter which put us half way through
the piano ... also key number 40 with a Front Weight of 42 or so grams.
The next section was about 12 keys and again dropped by about 4 grams.
Then sections of 6 keys each or something of that sort... each dropping
by about 4 grams. Needless to say there was massive amounts in key
counterbalance in the C6.  I have to assume this is pretty standard for
the C6's of that period.

On top of this the balance weight ratio worked out to be about 5.6-5.7.
This thing would lift massive hammers even at a 38 gram balance weight
spec.  The hammers I took off were really worn down and quite light the
BW was reallly light... especially in the treble ends of each front
weight section as described above.   I put on a set of hammers smoothed
to a 3/4 high strike weight curve and ended up with a ridiculously light
and extremely uneven BW.  Upon smoothing out the frontweights to get a
40 gram BW I had to take out over 800 grams of lead from the whole set
of keys.  40 gram BW was selected to get close to the CF III that the
school owns.

Frankly, I love being able to re-balance actions this way and am very
greatfull that Stanwood came up with this basic approach.  Makes
rebalancing actions a snap and wows em every time.  It also reveals just
how strange the factory approaches are.  I have yet to hear a good
reason for not utilizing this approach by a factory technical
representative....except for concerns about adding costs in the form of
retooling, retraining, and royalties... the three R's...grin.

anyways...thought it was an interesting job and wanted to share it with
you all.

Cheers

RicB