Piano Software

Hechler Family dahechler@charter.net
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 00:22:59 -0600

Greg, et all,

To my knowledge nothing has been written yet in the GPL license which is
what 99% of Linux code and apps are.

The GPL license is General Public License, which means that when someone
writes an app for Linux - AND/OR - Windows, means that the source code
must be posted on the web somewhere. *The writer is in total control.*
But if you want to download and tweak it, you can. However, it's
basically your code and not supported by the writer. But if it is a good
enough change, you can send the code back to the writer and if the
writer likes can include your changes in the next release.

So, if one of the writers of the piano software were to "open up" the
code and set it up as a GPL license,  they would stay in control of the
software. Which opens things up to direct ideas and changes by the
public. That poses a question, how does the writer make their money - by
offering "support" packages - so much a month / year / upgrade, etc..

IMHO, this is why Linux is gaining strengh - SuSE/Novell distribution
includes over - 3,000 - such GPL applications, geneology, games,
antivirus, browsers, email, office, firewall, photo manipulation,
digital camera, scanner, faxing, business financial, CD and DVD
ripping/authoring, ftp (file transfer protocol), mp3 creation/editing
(these are what I'm using) and many, many more for FREE

Finally, I remember hearing about a FREE development package that is
comparable to Visual Basic.

Duaine

--
Duaine Hechler