Shimming balance rail/excessive punchings

Barbara Richmond piano57@insightbb.com
Tue, 13 Dec 2005 07:40:45 -0600

Shimming balance rail/excessive punchingsThat's my aim (and what I did), =
Jon. I replaced the blue and green front rail paper punchings with a =
.060" and a .045" or .030" cardboard punching and then whatever few =
paper punchings I needed to make the dip right.  I think I now may have =
almost a lifetime supply of blue and green front rail punchings just =
from what I took out of this piano.  :-)   I wish I had had my camera =
with me--the stacks of blue and green were stunning.

I've shimmed a lot of vertical piano key rails in my life--especially =
school pianos at contest time, for some reason.=20
  =20
Barbara Richmond, RPT
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Jon Page=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 6:42 AM
  Subject: Shimming balance rail/excessive punchings

  >Is there any rule of thumb that suggests it is better to raise/shim =
the =3D
  >entire balance rail upwards rather than use an inch-tall stack of =3D
  >punchings on the center pins to get keys to a proper height?

  Shim the balance rail when possible to avoid springiness
  caused by an exaggerated stack of paper/cardboard punchings.

  Also use the thickest card punchings possible. My rule is that if it
  takes more than two punchings of the same thickness,
  it requires a thicker punching.

  Start with the thickest punchings and progress to smaller punchings
  during the leveling process.
--=20

  Regards,

  Jon Page