Shimming balance rail/excessive punchings

Jon Page jonpage@comcast.net
Tue, 13 Dec 2005 07:42:43 -0500

>Is there any rule of thumb that suggests it is better to raise/shim the =
>entire balance rail upwards rather than use an inch-tall stack of =
>punchings on the center pins to get keys to a proper height?

Shim the balance rail when possible to avoid springiness
caused by an exaggerated stack of paper/cardboard punchings.

Also use the thickest card punchings possible. My rule is that if it
takes more than two punchings of the same thickness,
it requires a thicker punching.

Start with the thickest punchings and progress to smaller punchings
during the leveling process.
--

Regards,

Jon Page