Hammer boring & Teflon center pin height

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Mon, 12 Dec 2005 20:55:25 EST

Dale  writes:

<< I don't see any problem lowering the stack  unless it changes the magic
line of wippen center to bottom of balance pin  intersection of the capstan
at
half travel radically.
  Any body else notice this stuff or have any relevant  & helpful
feedback...warnings? >>

The late 60's Steinway actions are all over the map. Before I began deciding
on bore lengths, I would certainly put a few trial hammers on the shanks at 90
degrees and then see how they mate with the strings.  Don't be surprised if
you find so much string angle going up to the bridge that there is no way for
the hammer to meet the string at 90 degrees, ergo, there is no way for the
hammer to be parallel with the string at contact.
     Also,  I have found it instructive to measure the action spread on these
rails.  They are NOT consistant!
Good luck,
Ed Foote RPT