Hammer boring & Teflon center pin height

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Mon, 12 Dec 2005 20:44:26 EST

Calling all Hammer heads
  We are currently doing a new Custom Balanced action on  A late 60's
Steinway B.
  As we are taking the measurements of the Sting heights  & center pin
heights to determine a new hammer bore dimensions I notice that  the old teflon
center pin height is approx 2 mm lower than the new center pin  height of the
Renner shanks & flanges.  I said Hmmm.... interesting. We  don't do many newer
teflon type actions but there are some consideration to  think about.
  1. A new center pin height does change  the  bore dimension & the action
spread some. What effect that will have I  haven't calculated completely yet but,
  2.. Since the original hammers were bored IMO short a  higher center pin
height means even a shorter hammer bore. TOOOO short. Original  bore was 2 &
1/16 " bass & 1 /3/4" tenor/treble. Usually ina a B  I'd expect at least 2 &1/8"
bass . 1 & 13/16th" tenor treble.  Or 54 mm bass & 47mm trebles
 3 So in order to retain a more normal bore distance the  solution seems to
be lowering  the entire stack/center pin height.  The wippen center is also
higher than the nominal 3 & 1/4" from the keybed  as quoted by Steinway for the
height so that will go down as well it  seems
    I don't see any problem lowering the stack  unless it changes the magic
line of wippen center to bottom of balance pin  intersection of the capstan at
half travel radically.
  Any body else notice this stuff or have any relevant  & helpful
feedback...warnings? Should be fun. I'm installing a beautiful Set  of Ronsen Wurzen
hammer heads.

   Dale Erwin

Erwins Pianos  Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Ca 95357
209-577-8397
Rebuilt  Steinway , Mason &Hamlin  Sales
www.Erwinspiano.com