Boston pianos

Byeway222@aol.com Byeway222@aol.com
Sun, 11 Dec 2005 19:23:44 EST

Hello Ric and List,

I do wonder if the Boston piano has different manifestations.  The  ones I
look after in UK are, on the whole, disappointing instruments for one  reason or
another.  All the uprights (6) which I have on my books have  a deadness of
tone and poor tuning stability.  The plank area on both the  grands and
uprights almost feels as though it is manufactured from  compressed rubber, and any
feel of 'setting' the pin is totally absent.   Hence the unreliable tuning
stability.

The following posting which succinctly suggests 'drilling holes in the  front
panel'  for added clarity/volume ties in with ones of my  favourite gripes
with upright manufacture.  Many manufacturers  worldwide make superb upright
pianos, but why, oh why, is there still the  tradition of suffocating the sound
potential with heavy and solid front  panels.  Given that the vast majority of
owners are going to push the  piano against a wall as well, it seems that the
poor upright piano never stands  a chance to really sound to its full
potential.  There is a German maker  (Steingraeber) who, I notice from their brochure,
 makes panels with cut-  away areas backed with a very smart coloured
material, rather like a  loudspeaker gauze.  It makes so much sense.  All the old
makers like  Broadwood, Brinsmead etc, and I'm sure many Ameriacn makers used
this technique  in very ornamental ways.  I have also seen older Bechsteins and
one  Steinway K where a restorer has taken out the (easily removed) three
panels in  the top door and relaced with brass grille backed with a subtle coloured
textile  material.  There are so many ways of presenting this idea, I just
wish it  would catch on more with both manufacturers and restorers.
Ric (UK)