Bass Players

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Fri, 09 Dec 2005 22:39:11 -0700

At 11:20 PM 12/9/2005 -0600, you wrote:

>>How many bass-playin' pianer tooners tune the piano's bass on the flat
>>side, eh? Them fiddle and trumpet-playin' tooners sure likey the bass to
>>be sharp-ish, y'know.
>
>Interesting comment. I typically lower the bass to what works for me,
>following other tuners. Following others, I also too often find the killer
>octave flat, and the high treble sharp of my preference. This must surely
>mean something, whatever it might be.
>
>Ron N
Same here, exactly. Now..... it's also true that the high end .... uh....
deviation... seems to be age-related, also, as far as the previous tuner is
concerned. My dad, on the other hand, kept his high- end acuity, despite
tinnitus,  and lost A#0 through D1. I mean, he would just guess at them, I
think. I have always wondered about the sharpness of some other guys bass.
I mean.... I just don't hear it workin'. Especially with melodic intervals,
as opposed to harmonic. My ears just wanna hear those notes headed down.
When I was a tuba player, my instructors always had to make me pay more
attention to my upper registers, and were happy with my low end. Like you
said..... truck rumblings......

Later,
Guy