regluing hammers

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Fri, 09 Dec 2005 21:26:23 -0400

I have used a heat gun, with some success.
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Brian Doepke
  To: 'Pianotech'
  Sent: Friday, December 09, 2005 7:40 PM
  Subject: regluing hammers

  Hello List,

  My situation is this.  A customer of mine has a Wurlitzer spinet with 54 loose hammer heads that click when they are played.  I was unable to remove the heads while the action was in the piano.  The glue is loose, but not loose enough to be able to pop them off.

  I am planning to remove the action, take it back with me and remove and reglue the hammers.

  What chemical is recommended to soften the glue enough to remove the heads?

  Thank you very much.

  Brian P. Doepke

  AAA Piano Works, Inc.

  260-432-2043