noisy jacks

Jurgen Goering pianoforte@pianofortesupply.com
Thu, 8 Dec 2005 19:42:28 -0800

Roger -
Can you give a diameter and an ideal thickness for that button=20
punching?  I'll see if I can get some made up from that special secret=20=

felt that no one is supposed to know about - you know which one I=20
mean.....starts with "W"

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply
(250) 754-2440
info@pianofortesupply.com
http://www.pianofortesupply.com

On Dec 8, 2005, at 2:51 AM, Roger Jolly wrote:
> Hi Don,
>  =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 The most likely cause will be the =
jack spoon button.=A0=20
> Many of the Korean pianos used a woven cloth instead of the more=20
> resilient felt,=A0=A0 The cloth gets hard and it makes a horrible =
noise=20
> when the button connects with the spoon. Another thing to check,=A0 is=20=

> the drop button leather.=A0 Around this time a synthetic was used, and=20=

> it hardens with age.=A0 On release from check the balancier clatters=20=

> against the drop screw.
>

>  With the first problem, needling the cloth can reduce the problem.=20
> Bin thar, done dat, it's a BS fix at best.=A0 Now I bite the bullet =
and=20
> change the felt buttons.=A0=A0 You will have to reposition the spoons, =
due=20
> to the fact the felt punchings are thicker than the cloth.
>
>  With the drop screw leather, the only fix is replace them with=20
> quality material.=A0 Carefully mark the hammer rail position with=20
> respect to the brackets.=A0 Remove the hammer rail, and the tops of =
the=20
> wippens are exposed so you can work on them,=A0
>
>  Remember to include a major regulation in your estimate.
>
>  Regards Roger

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: text/enriched