Petrof Quality

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 8 Dec 2005 18:40:48 EST

Listers
   After a recent encounter with a 10 year old 6 ft. Petrof ,my  once fairly
high opinion of them has sunk. I generally have liked the sound of  there
bellies & the workamnship looked good but  I had the following  experience.
  The action although upon examination had a nicely done 5.3 overall  action
ration the touch was extremely heavy high 60's down & below 20 up.  The
problem is that the hammers were just way to heavy for example Note 16 was  10.5
grams. That's  hammer wt. not strike weight.
  So extrapolate those heavier than normal readings thru the rest of  the
scale.
  Since the desired service was to make it play more like a Saturn  than a
truck  & no parts were being changed the original parts were  used. The remdey
was to  add one lead to a sparsely leaded keyboard   & then adjust the wippen
springs. Even at that the average down up weight  was around 56 to 22 up which
is a 39 balance weight.
 I believe  the real solution was a lighter set of hammers &  subsequent even
leading applied with springs detached to some higher than normal  nominal
number down/up numbers & then re -tweaking the springs. for a light  bit of
wippen weight removal from the system.
  This to me was a prime example of a nicely done leverage set up that  was
doomed from the git go due to extreme hammer weights It seems  all  grand piano
actions fall within certain reasonable & typical leverages that  when
exceeded are problematic until rectified by appropriate counter  measures.