noisy jacks

David Andersen david@davidandersenpianos.com
Wed, 07 Dec 2005 23:14:56 -0800

> List   -   I worked on a Young Chang grand today.  Purchased new about 6
> years ago.   The jacks are making a fairly pronounced click upon release
> of the key.   A model G157.   Each jack seems to be making about the
> same amount of noise.   When releasing a 6 or 7 note chord, the combined
> sound of those 6 or 7 jacks is quite obvious.   I believe the problem
> is  the  round hard felt on the jack.
>
> Anyone run into this before?    How did you fix the problem?   Is this a
> warranty problem?   I called Young Chang, but have not received a return
> call.
>
> I happened to have another Young Chang at the end of the day which I was
> checking for a church.  A 6' 10" I believe.  No jack noise at all on the
> key release.

Easy:

1.  Move the jack position slightly forward of the "right" position (lined
up with the back of the knuckle insert.)

2. With a single needle, soften the felt on the jack regulating button.

3. Set the jack height so the jack is juuuussst moving the hammer when
"winked."

4. Lube the knuckles with microfine Teflon powder

5.  Pay me some money for this damn fine tip!

Voila.....

David Andersen