noisy jacks

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Wed, 7 Dec 2005 22:40:24 -0500

Hi Don

I encountered a the same noise back in September. David Anderson posted
the following response and his solution worked very well for me.

I think there is a hard felt problem there, but David's solution
apparently is a work around if you don't want to change the felt. YMMV

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of David Andersen
Sent: Sunday, September 11, 2005 1:46 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: suddenly, a click

Just wrapping up working on a YC action that has been in my shop about 4
weeks. After assembling it I notice a distinct click when the jacks
reset. It appears some errant chemical vapor from the shop has hardened
the jack stop felt causing a slight noise on the reset.

I'm thinking perhaps a couple drops of water/alcohol/surfactant solution
might do the trick to soften the little round piece of felt.  Anybody
have any input?

If you're describing what I think you're describing, this is very common
on many Asian actions....and it's not felt-hardening, but something to
do with the jack position being too far back, and the whippen itself
somehow magnifying the "pock" sound that results when the jacks pops
back under the knuckle.

Try weakening the repetition springs and reregulating the jack
position(a little farther forward than usual) and height (so the hammer
barely moves on a test "wink") on one note; I believe the noise will
diminish or disappear.

Hope this helps....

David Andersen