noisy jacks

TOM DRISCOLL tomtuner@verizon.net
Wed, 07 Dec 2005 22:24:11 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don Price" <dcp3@twol.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 9:29 PM
Subject: noisy jacks

> List   -   I worked on a Young Chang grand today.  Purchased new about 6
> years ago.   The jacks are making a fairly pronounced click upon release
> of the key.   A model G157.   Each jack seems to be making about the same
> amount of noise.   When releasing a 6 or 7 note chord, the combined sound
> of those 6 or 7 jacks is quite obvious.   I believe the problem is  the
> round hard felt on the jack.
> Anyone run into this before?    How did you fix the problem?   Is this a
> warranty problem?   I called Young Chang, but have not received a return
> call.
>
> I happened to have another Young Chang at the end of the day which I was
> checking for a church.  A 6' 10" I believe.  No jack noise at all on the
> key release.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Don

    Don,
     This has  been a warranty covered item in the past.
    You have diagnosed the problem correctly.
    The jack regulating punching is too hard.

    This job is quick and easy.

    1. select the closest size jack regulating punching to the existing
punching.
        I use supply house punchings--Hey Wurzen .Are you listening?

    2. Remove the hammer rail---Carefully---with all the hammer assemblies
still mounted.
        (first index the rail position on the brackets )

    3. Lift each whippen to expose the regulating button-punching.
        A quick slice with an exacto knife -Bada Bing they are all off

    4. Glue on the new punchings-I use titebond--rough regulate the jack
position in the
         rep. window.

    5. Reinstall the hammer rail and regulate the jacks to knuckles with
your preferred
         method  ---Bada Boom you're done !

        Be sure to check the rest of this action .I.E. tight balance holes
and bushings. Hammer spacing,Squeeky knuckles, keyframe bedding , tight
hammer flange centers, tight damper guide rail bushings.Regulation etc.
    It's my guess that these punchings are not the only problem here.
    Good luck,
    Tom Driscoll RPT