Dampp Chaser question

Roger Wheelock roger@dampp-chaser.com
Tue, 6 Dec 2005 11:11:14 -0500

Hello List,

Our experience is as follows and is primarily related to our product.  Salts
in the water in the humidifier eventually attack the coated aluminum of the
humidifier heater bar.  Insoluble calcium and magnesium salts (from hard
water) seem to be the most aggressive.  This may occur because they tend to
plate out on the heater bar and are in direct physical contact with the
coated aluminum.  Sodium salts tend to stay in solution and bathe the coated
aluminum.  Generally, this has not been a problem with units until they have
been in the field for 10 years or so.  However, we did run into a problem
area in Canada, in John Ross' neck of the woods where humidifier heater bars
were deteriorating faster.  The water in this region was quite acidic,
similar to Coca Cola.  The combination of acidic water and salt was
dramatic.  Our solution to this was to change the coating on humidifier
heater bars to Auto Chassis Black, a rust resistant coating put on cars in
the Northeastern and Midwestern US.  Note that Smart Heater Bars have an
additional plastic coating.

The water coming off the humidifier heater bar does not contain salt.  It is
vaporized in a way similar to how water is distilled.  The salts are left
behind.  I believe the corrosive nature of salt water (eg. from the ocean)
is due to it being born by the wind and not due to vaporization.

This said we have had a couple of bad experiences in the history of
Dampp-Chaser.  Two times piano owners have gone to a place like Walmart or
Home Depot and purchased what they thought was "humidifier treatment".
There are actually two types of "humidifier treatment".  One is a mild
biocide, similar to what we sell, that inhibits the growth of mold and
mildew.  The other is a highly corrosive liquid used to dissolve hard water
salts in large industrial humidifiers.  This second material is sometimes
called boiler descaler.  It contains either hydrochloric acid or organo
chlorine oxidizers in an acidic environment.  The piano owners who used this
material rusted the pianos strings severely and the pianos required
restringing.  Since these occurrences we have made it clear that piano
owners should only use the humidifier treatment we sell or the warranty is
voided.  I have also done my best to educate as many technicians as possible
and appreciate the opportunity to reinforce these ideas.

Thanks,

Roger Wheelock
Dampp-Chaser Corp.