Mail-list weirdness?

Don pianotuna@yahoo.com
Sun, 04 Dec 2005 10:04:21

Hi Bob,

Satellite internet has problems with synchronization because even at the
speed of radio waves the distances are huge. Bell Expressview in Canada has
discontinued offering internet via satellite.

That being said you can squeeze more out of your dialup connection by using
the correct "mtu" and "blackhole" settings. There are a few programs out
there that will reset this for you, and some are "shareware" which will
change the settings and keep them that way even after the trial period on
the software has expired. Have a look at System Mechanic here:

http://iolo.com/

Another option is to use an "internet" accelerator--it won't make any
difference for email--but for surfing you can "choose" to have a lower
level of "graphics" so it can speed things up for viewing web pages. Have a
look here:

http://www.proxyconn.com/best1.asp

Another option would be an isdn modem--this will give a true 64 k
connection, which is about 4 times faster than a "dial up" modem. (Regular
dial up modems say 56 k--but are really 14.4 k with compression)

One more option is to use two lines and two modems at once. I doubt you
will want that as you would also pay for *two* user accounts with your ISP.

Another option is to use 1x service on your cell phone. This can be up to 5
times faster than a "copper wire" modem--but there is a charge for ever
megabit of data that flows. Where I live the telco wants $15.00 per meg
(about 5 or six emails can be a meg) so it is ridiculously expensive for now.

I do use my cell phone as a "modem" for connection to Hotdeals Canada when
I travel--but only after 6 p.m. when the rates drop--as the connection
speed is 1/3 that of regular dial up. They appear to be a sympatico
reseller and so far I've never failed to connect--nor have I been plagued
by disconnects. Have a look here.

http://www.hdcanada.com/

At 01:19 AM 12/4/2005 EST, you wrote:
>   In a message dated 12/3/2005 7:30:52 PM Pacific Standard Time,
>pianotuna@yahoo.com writes: For some folks there are few choices for an isp
>   and a mile north of us. We're too far away from a telephone repeater to
>get DSL. We seem to be outside of the range of two wireless towers by a few
>hundred yards. Satellite costs $600 up front and a 15-month commitment at
>$60/month, and I don't know anyone who has it, so I can't ask how happy
>they are. Anyone used either wireless or dish?   Bob Davis

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@yahoo.com	http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
306-539-0716 or 1-888-29t-uner