serial number help

Greg Graham grahampianos@yahoo.com
Sat, 3 Dec 2005 21:20:06 -0800 (PST)

Terry,

My atlas, 10th edition, shows s/n 120382 as 1903.
1952 starts with 537020.

I just tuned my sister's 4ft4in Kimball grand and
found 135009 stamped inside the action cavity, bass
end, on the rim.  The atlas says 1905, but this also
does not look like a 100 year old piano. I would have
guessed late 1920's, or early 1930's looking at the
case style (sort of Early American).  Too decrepit to
be 1950's.  I couldn't find a serial number anywhere
else, so I wasn't sure if it was just a case number or
what.

The plate has a thick, somewhat bulbous capo in the
low tenor.  Agraffes only in the bass.  Not my
favorite piano in the world.

A new coat of high gloss white auto paint now covers
the case, so I have no idea what condition the
original finish was in.

Has there been a revision to the Kimball serial
numbers in the atlas?

Greg Graham
Brodheadsville, PA

>serial number help
>Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
>Sat, 3 Dec 2005 12:53:26 -0500

>I think you dropped a digit when looking in your
Pierce Atlas >big guy.
>#120382 would have been manufactured in 1952. 1904
had serial >numbers
>starting with 12000.

>Does it look like a 50-year-old piano (or PSO or
POS)?

>But did they make the LaPetites that far back? Is it
a genuine LaPetite, or
is it an imposter - just some little Baldwin
microgrand from yesteryear? Is
the music desk perfectly rectangular, non-sliding, and
is held in place with
four little snappy-dootles at the four corners? That
is the standard
arrangement I have seen on any LaPetite.