Spindle sander

Brad Smith, RPT staff@smithpiano.com
Sat, 3 Dec 2005 19:51:37 -0500

Hi Mike,
I'm buying one as soon as possible.
Thanks!

Best regards,
Brad Smith, RPT
www.SmithPiano.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Spalding [mailto:spalding48@earthlink.net]
Sent: Saturday, December 03, 2005 7:32 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: RE: Spindle sander

Hi Jon,

At NCRC, Chris Robinson gave a half-day voicing class, at which he
demonstrated hammer shaping on an oscillating spindle sander.  Seemed to
give excellent results, and of course Chris made it look very easy.  I
didn't notice any ragged edges from the oscillation.  I think the rotation
speed of the spindle is so much faster than the oscillation that that would
never be a problem.  He did warn us to plan on ruining one or two sets of
hammers during the learning curve.  The sander he demonstrated on had been
borrowed from one of the exhibitors, Klingspor.  It was a Delta BOSS, a
very nice benchtop unit, retails for about $200, including several
different diameter spindles and a built in vacuum system for capturing the
dust.  He used a small 1" diameter spindle for hammers already mounted on
shanks, and larger 2" or 3" for unmounted hammers.  Also, unmounted hammers
could be sanded up each side against the rotation of the spindle,  while
hammers on shanks (at other than zero degeree bore angle) had to be sanded
up one side and down the other, (or up the other side climb-cutting, and I
can't remember which way Chris did it).   I haven't made the leap yet, but
I'm sorely tempted.  I'm currently making a list of all the other tasks
that sander might be used for.  It's all part of the cumbersome
rationalization process I need to go through before buying any new toy/tool.

Mike

Behalf