Bridge Capping Materials: Ebony?

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Sun, 4 Dec 2005 00:46:25 +1100

At 10:23 PM -0800 1/12/05, Jurgen Goering wrote:

>Ulrich Sauter showed me the titanium bridge pins Sauter is now using
>(only) on their concert Grands.  The idea is that titanium is
>extremely hard and therefore conducts vibrations readily.  As well,
>its low density and low elasticity give it ideal vibrational
>characteristics for bridge pins.
>. . . I was thinking that if there be interest from rebuilders to
>try titanium bridge pins.

>  At 6:53 AM -0600 2/12/05, Ron Nossaman wrote:
>
>Without some indication of an actual performance advantage, I don't
>think I would. I would be interested to see how these pins are
>marked by the strings over time, and how the combination of cap and
>pin ages as a termination.

Hi Jurgen, Ron  N and all,

The question of bridge pin hardness, or its deformation or lack of,
with respect to perceived tonal advantages, is interesting. Early in
my career my first experience with substituting the standard mild
steel pins with something harder (hi-carbon tool steel, or silver
steel) lead me to suspect that a harder pin yielded a brighter and
cleaner tone.

Recently, we pulled down the Baldwin SD-10 that we first rebuilt in
1988. I had forgotten that we made the bridge pins from silver steel
for this piano. This instrument, following its 1988 rebuild, was one
of the cleanest sounding pianos. Interestingly, when we pulled the
bridge pins on Friday the silver steel pins had a very small
indentation only. I am inclined to suspect the harder pin, which is
more resistant to deformation, yields a cleaner tone. We are
currently setting up our own Electroless Nickel (EN) plating bench
since I have been dissatisfied with the contract work and turnaround
time from the local plating shops. We have one excellent plater here
in Sydney, Qantas airways plating shop. They do beautiful work but
they won't take in outside jobs.

Anyhow, we are planning to EN plate a set of bridge pins and heat
treat the plating for the Baldwin fit-out. This will give the pins a
hard coating with a low friction coefficient and excellent corrosion
resistance. We've just completed a Kawai KG6 rebuild where we
increased the EN plating of the agraffes from our previous 2, to 3
thou. This plating thickness has resulted in the first set of plated
agraffes that I've been totally happy with. I suspect that for some
of the agraffes with the earlier 2 thou of plating, the wire was
crashing through the plating into the softer brass beneath.

A couple of months ago I inspected some standard steel bridge pins on
a grand that I had only recently re-strung (I had to re-cut the
unplated agraffe holes again since they had developed noise when
freshly re-strung). I was shocked to discover severe deformation of
the pin at the point of wire contact (the piano was so freshly strung
that it wasn't fully tuning stable). This has convinced me to try EN
plating the bridge pins for the SD-10's second rebuild. If I'm happy
with the result I'll EN plate the bridge pins for piano no. 6 which
we're taking the 2006 Rochester national PTG convention in June.

In summary, I agree with you Ron N. We certainly need to convince
ourselves that there is a genuine performance advantage in using
harder pins. However, I suspect that this idea just might have legs.
Well see very soon.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY