Bridge Pins, was Bridge Capping Materials: Ebony?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Fri, 02 Dec 2005 23:48:51 -0600

> Hardened stainless steel gets my vote.  Not only is it harder (hence
> more wear resistant), it is also considerably stiffer than titanium.

Which alloys? Both titanium and SS.

> The more flexible titanium would bend more right where the pin enters
> the wood causing higher stress right where you don't want it.  The
> stainless steel would spread the force over greater depth into the bridge.
>
> Plus hardened stainless in these small diameters should be relatively
> easy to make, hence cheaper, er..  less expensive than titanium.
>
> Steve Fujan (BSME, MSME, PE)

Right. Now you just have to decide what the problem is, whether or
not the current mild steel bridge pins are actually the problem, how
this problem manifests, and whether it might or might not be the
capping material that is causing whatever the problem might prove to
be instead. So, exactly what problem will harder bridge pins correct
that denser, harder, and less moisture reactive capping material
won't? I see a number of assumptions being made here that need
clarification. Not from just you, Steve, but in general.

Ron N