Dampp Chaser question

Roger Wheelock roger@dampp-chaser.com
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 16:08:07 -0500

Hi Jonathan,

There are a few possibilities here.  First let's assume you have a Smart
Heater Bar.  As Conrad and Patrick pointed out you could be getting mineral
deposits on the sensors of the Smart Heater Bar.  They will interfere with
conductivity and result in the red light continuing to flash.  These
deposits appear to be related to water hardness and can vary in how
difficult they are to remove.  We have seen some tough ones but have always
been able to scrape them off with a pocket knife.  (In our H5 humidistat,
coming out next summer, the sensor wires will be replaceable.)  Another
option is that the sensor wires have been turned a bit and only one is in
contact with the pads.  The sensor wires need to be positioned at the
topmost position on the bar.  A third option is that there is a problem with
one of the components.

When there is "red light won't stop flashing" problem one must determine
whether the failure is in the humidistat or the Smart Heater Bar.  A
challenge with this diagnosis is that the red light only flashes when the
humidifier outlet is energized.  (This was an engineering limitation in the
design of the H3 and H4 Humidistats, solved in the new H5.)  Thus a
technician could call on a piano owner who said that the red light wouldn't
stop flashing and find that the red light was off.  This means that the
humidistat is in the dehumidification mode and must be switched to where it
is calling for humidity.  I use a small portable hair drier for this.  I
keep it about 3 inches from the vent holes hiding the sensor switch and the
humidistat shifts in less than a minute usually.

Once the red light is flashing you can perform a simple test.  Unplug the
Smart Heater Bar.  Unplug the dehumidifier and plug it into the humidifier
outlet on the humidistat.  If the red light shuts off the Smart Heater Bar
needs to be replaced.  If the red light stays on the humidistat is the
culprit.  Remember to plug the dehumidifier back into the dehumidifier
outlet on the humidistat when testing is complete.

If one has a basic humidifier heater bar, you can still encounter the "red
light won't stop flashing" problem.  To keep the red light suppressed, H3
and H4 humidistats require that a continuous electrical pathway go out the
humidifier outlet on the humidistat through the humidifier heater bar and
back into the outlet on the humidistat.  A failure in a basic humidifier
heater bar can leave you with a flashing red light.  However, if you run
into this situation you need to complete the same diagnostic test described
above to see if the problem is in the heater bar or the humidistat.

I hope this helps.  For additional technical assistance please feel free to
call us at 800-438-1524 M-F 8-5 Eastern time or email me at
roger@dampp-chaser.com.

Thanks,

Roger