Seiler bleed through

Barbara Richmond piano57@insightbb.com
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 14:17:13 -0600

Howdy all,

Back again to the Seiler, model 240, 8' (I think) grand.  This piano is =
becoming a pain.  Grr...

History:  I took care of it (when it was new) for 2 or 3 years before I =
moved away in 1995.  The piano is memorable to me because a bass string =
broke while tuning, flew out of the piano, across the room and hit a =
fancy armoire.  Another time a treble wire broke while tuning.  Voicing =
was done with each tuning to keep the brightness under control, but I =
still ended up having to mute the first three notes of the 1st treble =
section duplex because of bleed through. =20

While I was gone, another technician (the tune and run, type, I'm =
afraid) tuned it regularly.  The string breakage got worse.  Eventually, =
the owner sent the piano to a shop to get restrung, have the hammers =
reshaped and the action regulated. =20

2005:  When I moved back to the area, the customer contacted me and =
wanted me to resume servicing the piano, it hadn't been serviced since =
the restringing and regulation was done on it (maybe 9 months?).

The first time I serviced the piano I nearly fainted because plastic and =
acetone had been used on these already very hard hammers.  But, I =
noticed that there was no bleed through in the 1st treble section and =
assumed whatever the problem was, had been taken care of when it was =
restrung.  I ended up doing some hammer shaping which seems to have =
taken care of the plastic sound and I used hammer softener on the =
shoulders so I could get my needles in. This opened up the sound =
somewhat, relieving some of the thin nasal quality of the voicing.   =
(The customer requested a big voicing session before trying new =
hammers).  Though its a lot better than it was, I'm still not very =
impressed with this instrument.

Between the 2nd & 3rd service calls (scheduled every three months) the =
bleed through returned--in the exact same spot.  I did everything I know =
(except removing the strings and having a look at the v-bar), and in =
spite of a fairly mellow voice (for these hammers) I still ended up =
weaving cloth into the front duplex. =20

Is this a case of a defective v-bar?  Does that happen?  If so, can =
something be done about it?  Actually, I think the owner is considering =
getting a different instrument because of this and the past string =
breakage problem. =20

BTW, I asked if he had ever had a string breakage problem with any other =
instruments he had owned and the answer was no.   He reported to me that =
when he talked to someone at Seiler about the string breakage, they said =
it was because the tuner was not letting down the string tension first =
before tuning.  Gosh, I only do that when I suspect a problem =
piano--have I been tuning the wrong way all these years?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Barbara Richmond, RPT