Definition of Voicing

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 09:52:45 EST

=20
Andre,
=20
Good to see you post here again!  Your presence and wealth of  information=20
was truly missed!
=20
Dave S.
=20
In a message dated 12/1/2005 7:55:01 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, =20
antares@euronet.nl writes:

On 29-nov-2005, at 19:31, St=E9phane Collin wrote:

Yahoo ! Andr=E9  !
=20
Long time no  see.
Great to read you again  here.

And you St=E9phane!

Now, if, yes, this is all a  matter of taste, as stated by others, what I=20
would find interesting is to  sort out what is a matter of taste from what i=
s=20
obviously faulty.   Difficult, but certainly important to master.  Any ideas=
  ?
=20
Best  regards.
=20
St=E9phane  Collin.

Let me put it this way (since you ask me) :
It is maybe better to simplify things in the first place, because this  whol=
e=20
thing about voicing is so abstract.
We have a piano A, consisting of a soundboard, a wooden frame, an iron =20
frame, a bunch of strings, a keyboard and an action.
All this combined will give a  specific kind of sound, totally different fro=
m=20
piano B. which was built  in a slightly different way.
So Piano A and B have different personalities and both these different =20
personalities may have different characters.

When we hit a string of piano A, with an  unvoiced hammer, the outcome will=20
be condensed and the hardness and  shrillness predictable because of the hig=
h=20
overtones being activated by a  stone hard hammer (assuming the unvoiced ham=
mer=20
is stone hard). Nevertheless,  it will already be possible to distinguish a=20
trace of a personality, hidden  and masked by the 'voice', the hammer.
The same of course for piano B.

Now what we do with voicing the hammers, is  sort of playing with the=20
possibilities the personality of the  piano and its hammer gives us.
Playing with the hammer is in an way  limited, because we have only a number=
=20
of possibilities here :
we can leave it the way it is=20
we can give it a small cushion
we can give it a big cushion
we can give it a hard crown, combined with a small cushion
we can give it a mellow crown, combined with a big cushion
we can give it a limited battery voicing, combined with the above
we can give it a huge battery voicing, combined with the above
we can give it a tulip shape, combined with the above
we can give it an egg shape, combined with the above
we can give it a diamond shape, combined with the above

There are more things we can do, but I think this is enough as an  example.

Anyway, what I am trying to say, is that we will always be able to =20
distinguish the personality, but this personality can be masked with quite a=
  number of=20
personae.

That's why I mentioned before :

To give a piano a  voice is one thing,