Drilling for key leads and key flex

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Thu, 1 Dec 2005 06:17:38 -0800

I'm wondering if simply having the lead in there glued or not would perform
the same function in terms of reducing flex.  Moreover, is there any
compelling reason to not drill all the way through versus drilling all the
way through in terms of key performance (or anything else for that matter)?
I guess that's the question.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Farrell
Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2005 5:15 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Drilling for key leads and key flex

I don't know for sure, as I am not an engineer, but it sure seem likely to
me that a hole drilled half-way through the key will induce half the flex
that a hole drilled completely through would induce. However, if flex is the

concern, I should think that if you glued/epoxied the lead in place, then no

flex would be induced - or rather the change in flex would be limited to the

flex difference between spruce and lead (good golly, what would that be?).

So there's my half-cent worth (or worthless, as the case may well be).

Terry Farrell