Bridge pin angles

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Fri, 29 Apr 2005 15:23:42 -0500

>> So in your example of pulling a string up until it breaks and
>>seeing immediate indentation, this 'pinching' from the sidebearing is a
>>bigger contributor than the downbearing.
>>
>>Phil F
>

> Not to mention that if your string's designed to be at 150 lbs tension at
> 60 percent breaking strength you would have to pull the string to 250 lbs
> (nominally - probably more) to break it.  That runs the 5.4 lbs 'pinching'
> figure up to 9.0 lbs and the downbearing figure from 2.7 lbs up to 4.5 lbs
> for a total of 13.5 lbs.  That's getting up there.  I'm not surprised that
> that would indent the cap.
>
> Phil F

Me either, but then that's not nearly the PSI load the first
increasing MC cycle will put on the bridge, so the typical capping
and pinning configuration appears to be doomed to crushing the notch
edge if it lives where there are humidity swings.

> PS  How did we get two threads going one titled Bridge Pin Angle and the
> other entitled Bridge Pin Angle(S)

Beats me. Maybe someone thought we needed to look at this from more
angle(s).

Ron N