Bridge pin angles

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Fri, 29 Apr 2005 11:05:32 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>>>To determine an affect, you need to detect a cause. If you're trying to
>>>determine whether bridge caps rising and pushing strings up pins crushed
>>>the cap, there ought to be a measurement of how much relative movement
>>>between pin and cap occurs at the cap surface.
>>>Ron N
>>
>>How do you measure this?
>>Phil F
>
>Directly. Overall height from bridge bottom to pin top less overall height
>from bridge bottom to bridge top.

I was thinking more of the tools used.  Since we were talking about .011
inches (as opposed to - oh, about 1/64 inch) that implies plus or minus a
thousandth, which implies doing something other than holding the bridge in
your hand and measuring with a ruler.  Do you place the bridge on a known
flat surface and measure with a height gage, for instance?

Phil F