Measuring string/bridge gap

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 17:50:42 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>Hello Graham and List
>This seems to be an on-going thread. And properly so. However there are
>facets of this discussion which haven't been aired - so I'll do so now
>(just to see what size flame-suit I should order!) Right then. Here's the
>rub.  I thought two bridge pins per string were the norm - but! Broadwood
>double-overstrung grands and some uprights have only ONE bridge pin per
>string. How do they get over the sideways thrust? (you ask) Simple! They
>divide the number of strings on the bridge. Half go one way and the other
>half go the other way. Cute eh? What has this to do with down-bearing and
>the gap under the string? I'm not sure ... but, as sure as God made little
>apples ... there's no gap under these strings!
>Regards
>Michael G.(UK)

Well, Michael, I would say that this constitutes absolute proof that
strings don't climb pins <G>.  By the way, what happens with the hitch pins
for the strings at the middle of the bridge when the backscale going to the
right meets the backscale going to the left?  Is there some sort of collision?

Phil F