regulating screws

Piano Forte Supply pianoforte@pianofortesupply.com
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 13:58:49 -0700

Two comments on regulating screws:

 Firstly, cut down on breakage by using the right tool.  There is
nothing like those good old rigid regulating screwdrivers to break off
eye screws.  A proper regulating screw driver has some "wobble" on the
eye screw, allowing you to turn the screw without being exactly in line
with it.  Better yet is a tool with a flexible shaft, allowing wonderful
access from "bad" angles.  See:
http://www.pianofortesupply.com/screwdriverinfo.html

If a screw breaks off and can't be turned out, I prefer to drive it
through with a fine punch instead of trying to dig it out.  This is
faster, more secure, and leaves a smaller hole to fix.  I use hammer
shanks to fix this situation, drilling in from the side of the rail so
that the new screw goes through cross grain, not end grain wood.

If you drill a blind hole from the back side of the rail, this repair is
essentially invisible

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply