Seating strings

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Sun, 17 Apr 2005 22:11:54 -0700

>Hello List
>I thought I would add a little "je ne sais quoi" to the battle.
>Although I am not a real devotee of John Broadwood they had some
>very revolutionary designs. And good for them! R&D is a cause worth
>pursuing - without it Ron Overs would not have developed his rather
>elegant new grand action design - just to mention one. Broadwoods
>were very innovative. They developed the "barless" grand,

I'm a fan of the barless grand concept.  We've talked about that
before on the list.

>the repetition spring in upright pianos and, the point in question
>now (under the Collen-Broadwood banner) the fully agraffed strung
>frame. In this we find brass agraffes throughout, not only at the
>top end but on the bridge also. I cannot say I like the quality of
>the tone these pianos produce but I wonder what they were like when
>new? These brass agraffes are not fitted like the standard model but
>are attached by a screw through a counter-sunk hole.

I'm having a little trouble picturing this.  Could you provide more
description?

>String spacing is by the holes on one side and string
>speaking-length is terminated on the rim opposite.

String speaking length terminated on the rim?  Now you've completely
lost me.  Any possibility of some pictures?

>  I have not heard any false strings on one of these yet.
>Regards during a respite from cutting the grass in my Sussex garden
>Michael G.(UK)

I just picked the first rose from my tiny San Francisco garden today.
We're getting a late start as we've had lots of rain and unseasonably
cold weather.

Phil Ford