Jim Coleman's temperaments was Pure.....

William Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 09:09:58 -0400

At 10:59 PM -0700 4/14/05, Joe Garrett wrote:
>Bill,
>There have been several, but the one I was referring to was an
>article in the PTJ a few years back. All based on the perfect 5th,
>etc. IMO, pretty much the same thing. Just presented in a different
>way.

That's probably the one he posted on this list in SEP/OCT of '97, in
which the Comma of Pythagoras was put entirely in the central
temperament octave, leaving a circle of pure 4ths and 5ths inside.
That seriously beating octave was used to lay out the remaining
octaves (although it would seem that proceeding outwards by pure 5ths
would do the same thing). Whatever the 5th relationships (3:3 or 6:4)
or the octaves (similar) were specified, this tuning scheme was
certainly a lesson in the tolerance of new musical experiences. <g>

But as Bernard points out, the semitone based on the 19th root of 3
is a horse of a different feather. Thanks from reminding us of Jim's
pure 5ths temperament. It's nice for historical purposes to have it
on the list again.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"We mustn't underestimate our power of teamwork."
     ...........Bob Davis RPT, pianotech '97