Jim Coleman's temperaments was Pure.....

Bernhard Stopper b98tu@t-online.de
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 11:33:45 +0100

Joe,
The "standard" 12-TET takes 1/12 of the pythagorean comma from the =
fifths.
The pure fifth approach you talked about, puts the pythagorean comma in =
1/7 up to the octave to get pure fifths.

In the pure 12ths approach, i published in 1988, the 12 fifths are split =
up to 12 twelfths and 12 octaves, yielding a circle of 12 twelfths on =
one side and 19 octaves at the other side.

The pure 12ths approach we are talking about here, and for which already =
exists various (free) approaches, puts then a 1/19 of the pythagorean =
comma to the 19 octaves. Complete different thing to the Cordier =
/Coleman thing.
And the existing approaches have some serious problems to be realized, =
even with ETD.

In my new approach every fifth (smaller than pure, not pure)and every =
octave (stretched , not pure) having 1 note together (formig a 3-note =
chord, there are four such combinations) can sound pure, when played =
together and tuned correctly.This is due to my recent discovery, that =
there is a symmetry of the beat ratios to the interval ratios only in =
the P12th tuning.

so the complete temperament will set or calculated by tuning/calculating =
the next note by reffering to two previous notes forming such a 3-note =
combination.
And this method is new, and that is what i filed for patenting. One can =
not patent maths or an idea or a system, but a method you can.

regards,

Bernhard
  ----- Original Message -----=20