splicing bass strings

Fri, 8 Apr 2005 17:22:20 +0100

Hello List and Matthew Todd
First here's what David I said:
1st you really need the wire broken at the pin, which doesn't usually =
happen.   This will give you plenty of wire to work with...
push the wound portion through the agraffe.   I like to work from the =
tail end on this piece...leaning over the curve.  With the round needle =
nose or better yet vice-grip (which I haven't mastered) make the bend to =
the left and loose, i.e. with a gap.  The end of wire needs to be above =
the plane of the wire.   With the new wire to be spliced on (plenty =
long!!!) make a bend to the right and tight.   Turn the piece around the =
snap it onto the wound string.   pushing the new wire up until it pops =
over the left and loose bend end and goes through the loop.  You may =
need to push the right and tight loop over the wound portion just be =
careful not to damage the windings.   Now pull the spliced piece until =
you have the classic tied knot.   Squeeze the bends with a needle nose =
pliers and ship off excess, measure to tuning pin and bring it up to =
pitch.   It will either immediately fall apart or tighten up.

David I.

Now here is what I do:
It doesn't really matter where the break is - although, as David says, =
it is best to have plenty of wire to work with. Ideed I have been =
successful in repairing one-of-a-pair where it was needed to remove some =
of the copper covering to effect the new knot. It is a "reef" knot, by =
the way. To experiment do as David suggests - using some malleable wire =
for practice. Fence wire is OK for this. Here comes the recipe:
Take the broken end in one hand. Using a pair of very strong, but small, =
round-nose pliers create a "shepherds crook" of that wire. It is =
important that it looks like the figure "Omega" but with straight =
parallel ends.
Now take the crook in a pair of vise-grips (though I use duck bill =
pliers so I can see what I'm doing) and with the strong round nosed bend =
over the looped part of the crook so it presents a 45 degree angle to =
the wire.
Next take the new piece of wire you are to splice (or tie) on. This MUST =
be the same diameter as the broken string.=20
Now make a "shepherds crook" of this and bend over the looped part of =
this also.
What you have now is two halves of a reef knot.
These must now be interlaced into the classic reef knot.
And there you have it! Hey presto!

I have been successful wire wire guages up to the thickest core in this =
- so don't lose heart! It can be done!!

Finally you need to heartily pull the two parts of the knot together - =
which is easy for the hitch end is still on its hitch. Use the =
vise-grips or Mole wrench for this.

Good luck

Michael G.(UK)