soundboard causing buzz, more...

Wayne Walker wayne.w@musicstop.com
Fri, 8 Apr 2005 08:35:20 -0300

It sounds like the lid, tried to isolate the hinges both the side the front,
and the lock. I had one customer about five years ago with a soundboard buzz
on a newer Yamaha grand. I spent the better part of an hour before I noticed
a piece of uncooked spaghetti laying on the soundbaord parallel with the
grain. It was very hard to see since it was the same color as the spruce.
The customer's 4 year old son was to blame.

Wayne Walker
Piano Tuner & Technician
MUSICSTOP LTD
1005 Dow Rd, New Minas, NS
B4N 3R4
Cell 902-221-1540
Fax 902-681-1463
wayne.w@musicstop.com <mailto:wayne.w@musicstop.com>
www.musicstop.com <http://www.musicstop.com>

-----Original Message-----
From: Bec and John [mailto:bjsilva001@comcast.net]
Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 7:33 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: soundboard causing buzz, more...

Hi,

I go back and forth between thinking it's some non-piano part
rattling/buzzing or the actual piano.

Today I took off the lid and the buzz was gone. I made sure everything
was tight and put it back on, the buzz came back (and seemed worse!).
Further I noticed I could reduce the buzz by pushing the lid hard to
the right with it propped open, as well as closed (as I mentioned in my
last email).

However, I was able to isolate the buzz to definitely the back end of
the piano, right around the bend, and it definitely appears to be
coming from the underside of the piano. This makes me wonder how it
could be the lid?

Since the plate covers this part of the soundboard from above and there
isn't easy access from underneath, I couldn't really do much
troubleshooting as far as the soundboard is concerned. I decided to try
and clean the board underneath the plate, but the fit is so tight I
couldn't get everywhere back there.

Oh well, it's really starting to bother me now as I practise :) I wish
I had a fibre optic camera to look underneath the plate!

- John

--
It has removed 768 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!