Plastics

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sat, 2 Apr 2005 19:59:09 -0800

Richard asked: "I looked at a 1907 Bacon grand today. Keys were plastic. =
Owner says she was told that they were original. I thought plastics =
didn't come into play(pardon the pun) till around the late 40's. "

Thanks,
Rick,
Take a closer look. It's probably Celluloid! That stuff that is so =
flammable and stinky. :-( =20
Celluloid was, essentially, the first plastic. It was first used for =
collars and cuffs, (and probably many other things, that I don't know =
about.<G>), during the Victorian Period. If it has a "grain" of sorts, =
it's probably Celluloid.
Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police