Glenn Gould, was Piano Bench Height

James Grebe pianoman@accessus.net
Fri, 1 Apr 2005 05:33:45 -0600

Glenn Gould, was Piano Bench HeightI have heard that about Ted before.
Jim
James Grebe
Piano-Forte Tuning & Repair
Creator of Handsome Hardwood Caster Cups, piano benches, writing =
instruments
(314) 608-4137
WWW.JamesGrebe.com
1526 Raspberry Lane
Arnold, MO 63010
BECOME WHAT YOU BELIEVE!
pianoman@accessus.net
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David Andersen=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2005 8:58 PM
  Subject: Glenn Gould, was Piano Bench Height

    Seems like I saw a piece about him on TV and he also liked to play =
without the fallboard in place so his fingers would not hit it when =
playing..

    Ted Sambell, Glenn's long-time tech, told me that his theory is that =
Glenn sat so low, and one time he tried the piano before Ted put the =
fallboard back; his ears were at the level of the fallboard, and the =
nearness of the sound he heard with it gone was good for him.

    BTW, talking with Ted, eating lunch with him, was one of the =
highlights, for me, of being at the Sacramento conference.  What an =
incredible artisan, and a sweet, sweet human being. Inspiring.

    David Andersen