Advice on Lyon & Healy

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 13:40:39 -0500

Horace wrote:
I have come to the definite conclusion that talking about this issue (of
lacquer versus tension) is a complete waste on both sides

Part of my frustration with the discussion is that it does not help me and
lots of other techs who work on lower end Asian pianos that are shipped with
rock hard hammers. What are we supposed to do with these? Most of us do not
work on concert instruments all the time with high end hammers.

BTW, I just got in a piano that I am putting new bass strings (Arledge, of
course) and hammers on. It is a Lyon & Healy 5'6", about 70 years old.
Decent sounding piano, reasonable action. Putting it up on the side to move,
I noticed that it appears to have a new beam in place along the straight
side (see attached photos). I've never seen that before. The piano was
rebuilt about 30 years ago.

I've always used Imadagawas from Schaff because they are decent enough
sounding out of the box and they suited the purpose for few hammer sets I've
replaced. After all the discussion on Wurzen hammers awhile ago I decided to
try out a set and I priced this job accordingly. Recent discussion though
has me questioning that decision. Does this middle of the road piano warrant
a set of premium hammers?

Also, I don't think they are original hammers and I'm not sure how faithful
the previous rebuilder was to matching them. Any suggestions?

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802